top of page
  • Writer's pictureBusAcTa Advisors

Do you have Dependents on your Tax Returns?


You can generally claim your qualifying child or qualifying relative having a valid SSN as a dependent. Dependents will provide benefits like a child tax credit, and credit for other dependents or even they may upgrade your status to Head of Household.

You can’t claim any dependents if you or your spouse are dependent on the tax return of another taxpayer.

The person who is filing a joint return cannot be claimed as a dependent by another person unless that return was filed to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid.

The dependent must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.

Rules for

1. Qualifying Child

  1. A child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half-brother, half-sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.

  2. A child must be under

  3. Age 19 (or 24 if a full-time student) at the end of the year and must be younger than you and your spouse; or

  4. any age if permanently disabled.

  5. A child must have lived with you for more than half of the year.

  6. A child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.

  7. A child must not be filing a joint return for the year.

If the child meets the above rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, only one person can actually treat the child as a qualifying child.

2. Qualifying Relative

  1. The person can’t be a qualifying child of you or any other taxpayer.

  2. The person either

  3. Must be your Relatives who don’t have to live with you, or

  4. Must live with you all year as a member of your household and your relationship must not violate local law.

  5. The gross income of the person must be less than $4,400 ($4,300for 2021).

  6. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.


If Housekeepers, maids, or servants cannot be claimed as a dependent if they work for you.

Child and Dependent care expenses if your filing status is MFS.


Recent Posts

See All

Why it may take longer than 21 days to receive their federal refunds The IRS issues refunds within 21 days in case of filing returns electronically and choose direct deposit. However, some returns hav

Surviving Spouse or Authorized Representative should file & sign the final return of the Deceased. Surviving Spouse can file as MFJ if they don't remarry during that year. The IRS doesn't need any oth

bottom of page